Search This Blog

Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

What has happened to Today's Fashion???

(*Kindly read (with an open mind) till the end before making any judgements keeping in mind that this article is from the perspective of U.A.E residents, Thank You*)


When I am outside by myself, my psychologist brain gets switched on, what I mean is- I kind of have a tendency to make use of my time to come up with different hypothesis for research or come with my own theories by observing people’s behaviours in different age groups, gender, location, behaviour changes according to the type of group people hang out with, or fashion.
This time when I was at the shopping mall a month back in Dubai (before leaving), I had the opportunity to make some observations again since I was by myself and this time I was shocked, found my observation subject hilarious, mixed emotions... coz this time I saw people (specially men) dressed in an extremely weird manner. Today’s fashion is pointless, senseless, and freaks me out!! We humans are not humans anymore, we are turning into a heard of sheep, or as psychologically termed “conformity”, following the majority (well most of the fashion crazed people are). Its as though the fashion society is mentally putting a “peer pressure” on people to look a certain way, I mean come on it does not make any sense to wear a long sleeved shirt with tight shorts during summers for instance! On some subconscious level you know that this fashion is senseless and it is another scheme to make more money, but you wear it anyway…

I thought girls were the ones on whom shorts looked hot/sexy/good, why has men’s fashion become so feminine? I know its summers in Dubai and the temperature is really hot, but it does not mean the guys want to dress more feminine!! (no offense).

Ok, so you see some guy wearing shorts and you feel it looks cool on him, and you think “hey why don’t I try it and see how it would look on me”, but have you thought that before coming out of your house wearing them why don’t you look at yourself in the mirror? Or why don’t you try on the shorts in the umm… a room called “trial room” before actually purchasing them, I’m not talking about the baggy shorts that come up to the knees, I’m talking about the shorts that are skin tight and really short (as shown below) which are actually designed to be tight for women/girls, but since its out in the fashion by certain accident of a fashion designer’s design, I think you guys shall wear it if you are confident enough to pull it off, otherwise you would actually end up embarrassing yourself.


Now coming to fashion for both genders when it comes to fashion in a country, we do know that Dubai, U.A.E is a Muslim/Arabic country, and so it (at least used to) has a certain dress code that is explained to you before you leave your countries and fly here for a tour/stay. The reason why the Arabs are silent for people violating the dress code is because the 20-20 expo is coming up and U.A.E wants to be Number 1. But seriously when you come to another country along with respecting other rules also respect their culture where these simple Arab people remain fully clothed we tourists are wearing whatever forms of clothes we like. I do know Dubai has a lot of “Glamour”, but do understand that Glamour and Beauty is truly noticed when it shines from inside out, and not just externally, because if it’s just for the external show everyone knows by instinct you are being fake.





Like the other day i saw this woman putting her groceries inside the car, as she bent to put the stuff inside, her purse was slung over her in such a way that her bending down pulled her real short dress up that her inner wear could be seen which was like a feast to the passing men. Things like this is what I’m talking about, if you wear a short dress (I’m not saying don’t wear) please make sure that you are careful enough to pull it off in such way that it is not too revealing, keeping the culture in mind. For the men, my only concern is their shorts being too short that it nowadays looks like women boxers, with their private area being highlighted, please be careful where you wear such things, the streets of Dubai are not your personal homes, or your private garden where you think you could walk around wearing practically close to nothing. Previously when men or women wore really short clothes even if it wasn’t too revealing, they were fined by the police approx AED 500-1000 depending on the type of violation.

That’s all I wanted to highlight here. This is for those who stay in Dubai (locals, residents, and tourists), and also for those planning to visit Dubai.


To make my point clear I would like to add some quotes:

A woman whose smile is open and whose expression is glad has a kind of beauty no matter what she wears.” ~Anne Roiphe

People are like stained – glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in; their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.~Elisabeth Kubler-Ross


Character contributes to beauty. It fortifies a woman as her youth fades. A mode of conduct, a standard of courage, discipline, fortitude, and integrity can do great deal to make a woman beautiful.~Jacqueline Bisset

No comments:

Post a Comment