Search This Blog

Pages

Monday, June 24, 2019

SPEAK UP WOMEN !!

Have you ever experienced or witnessed a woman or man being treated unfairly or taken advantage of?
Ever come across a situation where a woman you care for is being touched or spoken to inappropriately?

Recently I did...



I am going to be really honest with you guys and tell you the truth... with the intent of inspiring all or at least some women out there.

Related image

I was recently at my aunt's place, visiting her as she is on bed rest due to a knee injury. A physiotherapist, whom my aunt has known for the last 10 years or more as friends, came over to provide therapy to her. I had taken my laptop with me to her place to work on some stuff, so when the therapist came, I gave them some space and started working on my laptop.

I felt something fishy happening while the therapist was there, as my aunt kept calling me in her room with some or other excuse, every 20 min or so. Without questioning I continued to go in her room and obliged to her requests, no questions asked, no matter how much of the weird vibes I felt in the room.

After the physiotherapist left, my aunt said, 'Why did you not come and sit in the room?', 'Why did you leave me alone in the presence of a man?'. I asked my aunt what happened and she said that the therapist made a pass at her.

I was shocked.

I said, 'how is that possible? Isn't he a married man and also younger than you?'. She said, 'Yes, but you never know with men these days'.

With rage and protectiveness towards her, i asked, 'What did he do??!'
She said, 'You know how for an exercise they need to touch to make sure you are doing it right?'.
I said, 'yeah... so?'

She said, 'well, he didn't exactly touch me lightly on the knee. He caressed my thigh.'

I was shocked and shaking with Rage, but she wasn't done sharing.
She continued... 'Also, I had to stand up for one of the exercises and instead of gently guiding me with words and slight touch, he fingered my butt crack'

I was furious now at the doctor and wanted to do so many things to teach him a lesson.
My aunt was watching my every reaction and so I took a few deep breaths, enough to help calm me to help me speak without screaming or crying.

I said to my aunt, 'I was in the house, your son was in the house, the house cleaner was in the house, and your phone was next to you. you could have screamed out any of our names to get our attention the exact time when you felt him trying anything. You could have called your husband. You could have even simply yelled at him or said to him that this is not acceptable behavior and you are firing him. Anything!! Even kicked him in the nuts!!'

She said, 'how could I say anything to him? he is my therapist and a man.'
I was fuming... 'Him being your therapist does not give him the right to do anything he wants and get away with it!! Also, you are the one paying him, not the other way round. You have the upper hand.'


What I would like from you guys is... God forbid if you or someone you see, go through something like what I shared above, please SPEAK UP! This is 21st century and generation where we fight for rights and deserve justice... Don't be afraid to SPEAK UP and STAND UP for your self and against injustice. 

Image result for women speak up against injustice

Please don't keep quiet. If you stay quiet, it only encourages more such behavior. 
Remember, there is Strength in numberbut You gotta start somewhere... start with yourself. 

Please comment below what would you advise my aunt or other women in my aunt's place? What would you have done if you were in my or my aunt's position?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Sneha! It is important that we speak up when we feel we have been wronged. Nobody should ever feel uncomfortable, especially in their own home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was working as a personal assistant, a man I was working for was old enough to be my dad AND married. Sometimes he would hold onto my hand a little too long when I shook his hand and would always compliment my looks. It started to make me feel uncomfortable but it was my job so I just avoided the situations of being alone with him. One day he called the reception desk and asked me to come help him with his laptop. When I sat down at his laptop, he came and sat next to me, pretty close so I moved away a bit, he put his leg against mine and I moved away. He did it again and I moved away again. At this point I was feeling threatened and uncomfortable, I started to panic as he was between me and the door, when he did it again I sternly got up and said I have to go and walked out. I was so shaken up and what made it worse was when I talked to my FEMALE boss, she basically said men will be men! What kind of an excuse is that? I never stepped into his office again after that, if he called for me I would stand at his door and I made it clear he had crossed a line, unfortunately I couldn't be direct because of my stupid job! I very quickly lost interest in working there! It is difficult to react at the time it happens because it usually catches you off guard and will happen so quickly that you can't process what happens. Don't let her see that Dr again. He will get the message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've both witnessed and experienced too much of this behavior, men somehow feel entitled to do whatever they want, it's really infuriating! We have some projects ongoing in Sweden talking about masculinity and the difference between the positive masculine and the negative, to encourage men to talk amongst themselves about feelings and relationships, to adress this 'rape culture' in everyday communication etc.

    Feel free to share this project worldwide. Engage men in the conversation, get them involved. Men have so much to gain by opening up. Equally concerns all of us.

    Http://www.killmiddag.se/index_eng.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is not right and I'm sorry your mother went through this. I know GOD will take care of the situation on both ends. People deserve to be treated with respect regardless of gender, size or status. I'm grateful to see you posting this and increasing awareness. The only time I see sexual harassment being properly addressed is in work trainings. Feel empowered to speak up, say or do SOMETHING if someone is talking or touching you inappropriately. I emailed someone at work to stop touching me before and they stopped. Even small acts of assertion can make the difference between a safe and an uncomfortable workplace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Women - always trust your gut! If something seems fishy, it likely is.

    I'm so sorry your aunt went through such an experience, and so glad you were there to advocate for her rights!

    ReplyDelete