Search This Blog

Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Gossip?! Lets take a Triple Filter Test...

Many a times in life we may have come across people telling things about other person they just heard from somewhere, which in the end when found out, isn't mostly true. There have been what we term as Gossips or Rumors which make a person or a group look bad, or spoil a long term friendship of people...
Gossips are not Quiet healthy, and most of us don't like it but sometimes cant help ourselves listening to it, and then feel bad/guilty of what we just heard about.

Have you ever wondered what if there was a way to not accept/not listen to any kind of Gossip or Rumor coming your way?
If you haven't, and want to know how NOT to be a part of any Gossip... Here's a story a friend of mine shared with me recently which has helped me look at things from a different perspective. Give it a Read.




One day an acquaintance met the Wise man and said, “Do you know what I just heard about your friend?”
“Hold on a minute,” the man replied. "Before telling me anything I’d like you to pass a little test. It’s called the Triple Filter Test.”
“Triple filter Test? Whats that?”, said the acquaintance.
“I will tell you,” the man continued. “Before you talk to me about my friend, it might be a good idea to take a moment and filter what you’re going to say. That’s why I call it the triple filter test. The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?”

“No,” the acquaintance said, “actually I just heard about it and...”

“All right,” said the wise man, “So you don’t really know if it’s true or not. Now let’s try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my friend something good?”
“No, on the contrary…”

“So,” wise man continued, “you want to tell me something bad about him, but you’re not certain it’s true. You may still pass the test though, because there’s one filter left: the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my friend going to be useful to me?”
“No not really …”

“Well,” concluded Wise man, “if what you want to tell me is neither True, nor Good, nor even Useful; why tell it to me at all?”



MORAL OF THE STORY: He who repeats the ill he hears of another is the true slanderer.

Let us not be the rumor mongers to tarnish the image of others; wherever possible, let us avoid projecting the wrong image of others! All the human beings have plus and minuses, let us concentrate on our minus points and try to improve ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment